As many of you know, I am a tried and true bibliophile. And chapters is a place of many great things, but also many bad things (mainly for my bank account and my brief encounters with Allegiant). Anyway, I just wanted to make this post to try and justify the time and money I spend in bookstores.
And to let you all know that today is one of the very few days that I have walked in and out of Chapters with no purchases. And I feel accomplished writing that.
The dangers of bookstores include the following:
1. The Books can leave you emotionally damaged
2. You feel compelled to spend way too much money
3. You already have over 20 books at home waiting to be read but you feel the need to stock up on more books for no particular reason
4. The ground can be slippery with the tears of teenage girls reading The Fault in Our Stars
5. The staff can make you buy books that you have never even heard of before simply by saying that it is good,
6. You feel that when you buy more books you can justify your actions because you are educating your mind through literature.
7. The pages torn out from City of Lost Souls can be hard to walk through
8. The scent of paperback books can lead you to hysteria
9. Carrying all the Harry Potter Books at the same times can cause premature arthritis
10. Your mind may feel invaded with amazing linguistic ability after reading a book (Lullaby for example)
And those are just a few of the dangers of bookstores, I didn’t even get into the dangers of bookstores when Starbucks is attached.
Anyway, I am starting to regret the fact that I let myself walk away from Chapters without the purchase of Frog Music, The Beginning of Everything and Let’s Get Lost. But at the same time, I showed self-restraint in the book department today and that is something that all bibliophiles deserve a plaque in their honour for.
Let me know if anyone else loves bookstores but also sees the dangers in them at the same time,
And as always, keep on designing your own catastrophe…